Director, Claims - Workers Compensation
The Director, Workers' Compensation Claims will develop, lead, and steward Pie’s workers' compensation claims strategy. This role is responsible for managing and implementing claims programs for the workers' compensation line of business. They will serve as the lead workers' compensation claims authority and owner, and will develop and guide claims procedures and policies to optimize the end-to-end adjudication of claims.
How You’ll Do It
- Responsible for oversight of the WC Claims adjudication and subrogation function at Pie.
- Member of the Claims leadership team. Develops and directs a team of managers and team leads, including setting and tracking goals, assigning and reviewing work, managing related processes and staff activities, performance management, coaching, and mentoring.
- Develop, measure, and coach to performance goals and measurements (KPIs) for Pie WC claims leaders.
- Effectively controls and directs the activities of the WC claims adjudication team having significant impact on the company's top objectives.
Operational Design and Scale
- Build/model and track budgets for headcount planning.
- Build strong claims talent, expertise, and customer focused team members
- Determine team organizational structure, expectations, span of control, and role expectations
- Develop the strategy to continue the buildout, scale, and standardization of key functions. Maintain a focus on streamlining and automating processes to reduce costs.
- Define and drive the execution of functional initiatives to support company-wide OKRs
- Analyze claims data and proactively look for ways to mitigate losses with early focus on statutory compliance, adherence to Pie Claims Best Practices, and proactive claim resolution.
- Continuous analysis of specific claim processes to identify opportunities for improvement and adjust approaches for innovative claim solutions
- Work closely with Claims Operations leadership to align and execute on overall Claims department strategies and objectives.
- Participate in a variety of meetings and collaborate cross-functionally to strategize and achieve Pie's goals.
- Create and present claims data and insights to internal and external stakeholders
- Develop and maintain executive level relationships with internal and external business partners
The Right Stuff
- 10+ years of experience managing Workers' Compensation Claims
- 5+ years of experience Leading People Leaders
- Advanced understanding of workers' compensation claims
- Advanced proficiency in analytical skills and understanding claim metrics that impact overall company objectives
- Superior oral and written communication skills
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.