Establish Pie as the preeminent commercial insurance among small business owners by interweaving AI/ML and Data Science models through the various operations of the company, while pushing the envelope of innovative use of AI/ML and Generative AI in the industry.
We are looking for a hands-on Director of AI/ML & Data Science –to lead Data Science and Machine Learning Modeling design and solution delivery. As an A/ML leader, you will work with Pie’s Data Science, data and ML engineering, Product Management, and Operations teams to conceptualize, build and enhance AI/ML solutions to address various business challenges and opportunities.
In this influential role, you will serve as the driving force behind the orchestration of our AI/ML strategy and roadmap. Collaborating closely with business leaders and product managers, you will shape the landscape by scoping AI/ML use-cases, assessing their value, and formulating a comprehensive roadmap for the delivery of impactful solutions.
Leading our data science team, you will be at the forefront of designing, developing, and validating AI/ML solutions, ensuring their seamless integration into our operational landscape. Your collaboration with the MLOps team will extend to deploying, testing, and monitoring models in production, emphasizing a commitment to excellence and reliability. Guiding your team through Agile practices, you will strike a harmonious balance between research-related endeavors and a steadfast focus on timely delivery.
You will collaborate with executives shaping the Data Science and Gen AI development strategy, and facilitate the implementation of these strategies. Your impact will reverberate across various business functions, providing a tangible realization of the fruits of your labor. In summary, this role offers a unique opportunity for you to shape our data-driven transformation, contributing significantly to both internal value and the enhancement of services to our customers.
How You’ll Do It
Guide and Inspire
- Guide a team of talented data scientists in conceptualizing, designing and delivering advanced analytics and ML solutions with tangible business impact.
- Hire, scale, and develop a team of data scientists, fostering a culture of innovation and excellence.
Collaborate Across Functions
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Product Management, Engineering, and Business Operations, to identify and shape ML-driven initiatives aligned with business goals.
Deliver Scalable Solutions
- Develop and deliver cutting-edge ML models and algorithms to inform and shape critical decisions in all aspects of business operations.
- Build and manage the data science accelerators, tools, and processes, ensuring scalability, reliability, and accuracy of our data-driven solutions.
- Collaborate with machine learning engineering and data platforms teams on tooling, and shared features library, staying ahead of advances in ML, AI, and data science tools
Facilitate Robust Processes
- Facilitate robust product development processes and team coordinations to enhance collaboration, increase delivery throughput, and enhance team ownership.
- Implement methodologies and processes for enriching data, enhancing AI/ML product development, and maintaining and upgrading deployed models.
- Communicate complex data-driven insights, recommendations, and results to non-technical stakeholders in a clear and compelling manner.
Stay Ahead of the Curve
- Stay abreast of the latest advances in ML, AI, and data science tools, evaluating their potential impact on our business and products.
Cultivate a Culture of Excellence
- Foster a culture of experimentation, continuous improvement, and knowledge-sharing within the data science team and across the organization
- Mentor others seeking to develop more advanced capabilities, fostering a culture of continuous learning and growth.
Whether It’s Right For You
Everything we do is connected, but we each have different roles. That means we need you to be an analytical thinker and solution seeker. We are a start-up. All hands and minds are needed.
We are looking for someone with a growth mindset, strong analytics capability, ability to deepen and broaden your technical skills, while constantly seeking to build solutions that matter. We use machine learning and data analytics to further extend Pie's industry advantage. We take on challenging ourselves to come up and prototype even better solutions.
The Right Stuff
- A Master's degree in a quantitative field (Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics or other related fields) is required. A PhD in a quantitative field is preferred.
- 7+ years experience as a data scientist. Building and delivering ML solutions for data-driven companies, with demonstrated business acumen and problem solving skills..
- 3+ years experience in managing Data Science / AI/ML teams, with track record of successful delivery, including end-to-end ML product development
- Proven experience in building partnerships and effective collaboration across different functional teams, especially with various business operations
- Hands-on experience with advanced machine learning algorithms, and Deep Learning techniques
- Experience in creating reports, and presenting results to non-technical audience
- 3+ years experience in successful project management and product delivery
- Experience mentoring mid and senior-level data scientists
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and decision making on complex issues regarding initiatives, technical and business goals and related tasks.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, agile environment and to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Insurance industry experience is a strong plus.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.