Underwriter, Workers' Compensation
Our Underwriters are on the front lines, interacting with our customers all day, every day. Every underwriting call, email and message has a profound impact on our business and our reputation. The average day in the life of a Pie Underwriter involves a high volume of daily transactions ranging from making underwriting decisions to issuing a certificate of insurance. We expect your role will evolve quickly as Pie grows.
How You’ll Do It
- Leverage workers’ compensation or commercial insurance underwriting expertise to assess medium to complex risks in order to underwrite and bind new and renewal coverage.
- Quickly and effectively decide each request through the use of Pie’s underwriting guidelines and known risk exposures and loss frequency and severity.
- Achieve profitable growth through appropriate risk evaluation while building and maintaining outstanding payroll partner customer relationships.
- Prioritize and resolve payroll partner customer inquiries for documentation or support.
- Provides technical assistance to the payroll partner sales team and customers regarding policy and endorsement provisions and underwriting acceptability for designated insurance coverages.
- Maintain strong industry knowledge on commercial insurance underwriting expertise and changes in market/account positions. Develop and maintain full knowledge of all forms, coverages, ratings, and manuals for the specific line being underwritten.
- Participate in review and evaluation of risk portfolio, making recommendations on book management issues.
- Take on other tasks, responsibilities and projects as needed.
The Right Stuff
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience with some college coursework is preferred
- 1 year of underwriting experience is required. 3+ years of underwriting experience is preferred
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of workers’ compensation class codes
- Ability to sell our product while simultaneously discerning risk characteristics within the direct to business market.
- Ability to balance the outstanding execution of processes while handling a high volume of transactions.
- Experience with Insurity, HubSpot and Salesforce preferred
- Verifying businesses using various resources and databases like Google, Yelp, LinkedIn, Facebook and similar sites
- Experience underwriting insurance for payroll partners is very valuable.
- Strong expertise in the California workers' compensation market is preferred
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.