Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2023
Motion is growing fast (3x YoY), our product is sticky (120%+ Net Revenue Retention) and we recently raised $6M in seed funding. But we’re just getting started and we need your help.
We’re building a new category of software to bridge the gap between performance marketers and creative teams.
Our creative analytics platform offers fast, visual reporting for Meta, TikTok, and YouTube ads to help teams understand what’s working and why.
Our customers are top ecom and DTC brands like Vuori, True Classic, The Farmer’s Dog, HexClad and hundreds more. They’ve used Motion to analyze over $3B in media spend.
A strong community is forming around Motion, and we have many exciting product features in the roadmap.
Your job as a Senior Editor will be to write incredible content and dream up creative executions that help us reach DTC and ecom brands.
About the role
We’ve already built early success with our inbound content, incredible virtual events, and rock-solid product-market fit.
We’re going to keep blowing up our content, swing bigger with events, and expand our content distribution in 2024.
For this role, we’re looking for someone who can help us create exceptional organic content including long-form email newsletters, research reports filled with unique insights, landing pages, video scripts, and the occasional ad campaign concept.
We serve DTC and ecommerce brands who make a lot of ads and are always looking for ways to increase their performance with TikTok, Meta, and YouTube advertising.
Our audience loves learning about advertising formats, new tactics in ad platforms, and performance marketing strategies.
Having an interest in performance advertising and DTC ad trends is critical as we need to produce exceptional educational content to stand out.
The best person for this role is a writer by trade. And as a writer, you understand that anyone can write words. What matters in B2B is finding original, business-changing insights and stories that other people miss.
You know how to conduct qualitative research, find the story, and above all—deliver incredible recommendations that people can immediately apply to improve their DTC or ecom advertising strategy.
The best person for this role is comfortable mastering the fast-moving world of DTC advertising. There is a lot of noise in this space, people need tactical advice not marketing pontifications, and asking ChatGPT for the answers—that ain’t gonna cut it.
You’ll need natural curiosity, combined with investigative journalist research techniques and top-tier writing skills.
Your job will be to uncover the best techniques from real operators in the DTC world, crystallize that knowledge into compelling hooks, and deliver exceptional educational content that helps our customers do their jobs better.
Bonus points if you’re interested in using first-party data (with help from analysts) to craft original research and benchmarks.
You’ll have lots of support to achieve all these things. And plenty of room to pitch new ideas for content programs, the space to think and write, and design and video resources to bring your insights to life.
Specifically, we’ll ask that you:
Write Thumbstop issues: Thumbstop is our weekly newsletter that is read by Heads of Growth and creative strategists at ecom and DTC brands. We aim to produce high-quality, original research that competitors can’t easily copy.
Weekly social posts: once we’ve created content, we need to transpose it into different social platforms. You’ll build your LinkedIn and Twitter writing skills with regular output.
Write our Creative Benchmarks Report: We want to turn our 1st party data into an original research report that we release bi-yearly. This involves defining the research questions, working with an analyst to pull data, and finding the big story to bring to our audience.
Video scripts & feature launches: you’ll use your concepting muscles to write exciting video scripts, landing pages, and social copy for product launches.
Pitch ideas & content series: you’ve got lots of ideas, so if you’re thinking about a new content series, let’s find more resources to make it a reality.
You’ll have a lot of support as you figure things out.
We are all low-ego people and collaborative.
You’ll report to our Head of Content and have design, web development, and video resources.
Who you are
- You’re a writer first. You hunt for big ideas and original insights.
- You’re a skilled qualitative researcher with some interest in statistics and data analysis.
- You’re good at working with sales and customer success teams to source insights.
- You ship work and hit deadlines like a pro.
- 5+ years in B2B content marketing roles
- Bonus points: you’ve worked for a DTC brand, ecommerce company, or performance marketing agency.
How to apply
With your application, please submit three writing samples. These can be links to live work, your portfolio, or simple PDFs. Please upload these as links on your resume, attached as additional files along with your resume, or in the designated file upload section if applying on Lever.
1. Long-form writing sample: This should be a research-driven piece of content such as a PDF guide, a long-form YouTube video you scripted, a blog post, or a newsletter issue.
2. Persuasive writing sample: This should be more sales-focused such as a website homepage, a landing page, a product feature page, or a short video script.
3. A short-form piece of content: This should be more high-concept. You could include a social media post, an Instagram or LinkedIn carousel, an ad campaign you worked on, or a video ad you worked on.
What you’ll love about Motion:
- Fully remote team with incredible offsites and retreats to build camaraderie. Our last retreat was a week-long stay at Lake Muskoka.
- We’ve found product market fit but we’re still so early that you will have a major impact.
- We’re a tech company with all the standard startup benefits: Great vacation policies, health care, modern tech, home office budget etc.
- Our team is very ambitious, super capable and low on egos
- Our customers are some of the leading brands and agencies in D2C e-commerce
- We want Motion’s impact in the “creative-tech” industry to be up there with the Webflows, Canvas and Figmas of the world.
- We have a deep understanding of the problem space through many years of tinkering in the industry.
- We know exactly what it’s going to take for Motion to win.
- We’d love for you to join us on the ride!