Manager of Software Engineering - Media Processing
About JW Player:
JWP is the game-changing video software and data insights platform that's revolutionizing the Digital Video Economy. With our cutting-edge technology, we give our customers unparalleled independence and control over their digital video content. We began over a decade ago as an open-source video player, but today, JWP is the driving force behind digital video for hundreds of thousands of businesses worldwide. And with over 1 billion viewers tuning in every month across 2.7 billion unique devices, there's no limit to what we can achieve. We're on the lookout for passionate and innovative candidates who are ready to join us on this journey of transforming the world of digital video.
The Media Processing Team:
The Media Processing team builds and maintains JWP’s core Video on Demand processing systems, responsible for handling over 20,000 videos each day! Being responsible for key systems at this scale, this team offers significant opportunities for sharpening your skills in a modern backend engineering environment. Our team is remote-first, spanning time zones ranging from Seattle to the Netherlands, and includes engineers at all levels of seniority - solid communication skills and a desire to work as part of a high-trust team are musts for us.
As JWP continues to grow, so do our Media teams! As we’ve more than doubled the number of engineers in this area of the Media group in the last year and are still growing, we’re looking to add another Engineering Manager to the team. The right candidate is a senior engineer with leadership experience, strong communication skills, high attention to detail, and other multi-functional skills across engineering and management. This person will initially lead a small engineering team while also contributing hands-on, but should be open to growing the team and becoming more hands-off over time.
As an Engineering Manager, you will:
- Be responsible for hiring, onboarding, and retention for your team
- Support and oversee your team in performance management and career growth
- Maintain and advance a culture of emotional safety, trust, and excellence
- Act as an information filter between your team and other stakeholders throughout the business
- Remove roadblocks and connect the team with the information and resources they need in order to deliver projects effectively
- Partner closely with the Media Product Manager to ensure the team is focused on the right problems at the right time, in line with group and company drivers and goals
- As time allows beyond the above (and without blocking critical path work!), you may also contribute directly to engineering work
Requirements for the role:
- You have 4+ years of relevant professional experience as part of an engineering team.
- You have prior experience in a leadership capacity.
- You have a degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field; or experience equivalent.
- You have a proven track record of working with coding languages and technologies that will translate to being successful working in ours.
- Examples include: Python, RabbitMQ, RDBMS/SQL, cloud infrastructure (AWS), microservice architecture, Docker, Linux
- Experience with web video (particularly video processing/transcoding/encoding)
- Experience building and supporting large-scale systems
Perks of being at JW Player, Mexico
Our goal is to take care of you and ensure you will be successful in your new role. Your success is our success!
As a full time employee, you will qualify for:
- Competitive Paid Time Off
- Remote Working Stipends
- Quarterly and Annual Team Events - because team building is important!
- Professional Career Program and Career Development Opportunities
- Bi-Annual Hack Weeks for those who are interested in using their coding knowledge
- Fireside chats with individuals at JW Player
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.