About The Company
Gwyneth Paltrow launched goop from her kitchen as a homespun weekly newsletter. It’s grown a lot since then; goop is a lifestyle platform encompassing curated products and content about beauty, wellness, fashion, food, and home. Pioneering the contextual commerce platform, goop allows readers to shop with meaning. goop is one of the rare places on the web where food, shopping, and mindfulness collide—where the ever-evolving intent is to make every choice count. We’re all resource-strapped, so goop hopes to surface the very best experiences, recipes, products, and advice.
You are a client-focused attorney that thrives in a collaborative environment. You have a keen attention to detail and exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Developing relationships with others is key to your success and makes you a strong thought partner across the business. You understand, and are ok with, rolling up your sleeves to keep things moving and meet deadlines.
About The Role
Goop is seeking a talented Legal Counsel to join its small and dynamic legal team and will report directly to the Deputy General Counsel. The Legal Counsel will have law firm experience with prior experience in an in-house legal department strongly preferred. Success in this role requires a collaborative attitude, strong attention to detail and exceptional contract review and drafting skills. Key responsibilities include:
- Serve as an important point of contact for the internal legal function, ensuring that all requests directed towards the Legal Department? are addressed in a timely manner.
- Ability to advise business teams on a variety of matters with guidance from the Deputy General Counsel and/or General Counsel, as needed, while shifting frequently between various substantive legal areas.
- Contract review and negotiating, drafting and editing various business agreements including contracts related to vendors, suppliers, distributors, ad sales partners, events, photo/video/talent, marketing service providers, and other contracts related to other company initiatives and events.
- Manage, maintain, and update company legal templates and facilitate their consistent use.
- Support cross-functional business teams with legal advice and counseling in the areas of IP, marketing and advertising, contests and sweepstakes, data privacy, software, and other technology services agreements under the advisement of the Deputy General Counsel and/or General Counsel.
- Perform needed legal research to support company compliance and the delivery of advice on pertinent legal matters.
- Develop strong relationships across the company to foster an environment where the legal department is consulted early and often, providing a solid foundation for every decision made in the business.
- Support legal department strategic objectives.
- Help implement legal tools and training for departments.
Qualifications & Experience
- 3-5 years’ experience, with prior in-house legal department experience strongly preferred.
- JD from a top tier law school
- Membership in CA State Bar or Registered In-House Counsel
- Excellent writing skills with highest attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal communication skills with a focus on collaboration in every interaction
- Ability to maintain highest level of confidentiality in all communications.
- Client-focused, professional attitude in all interactions with internal and external stakeholders
- Proficient in use of technology
- Self-starter attitude with a willingness to function without extensive administrative support.
- Compensation: $140,000 - $170,000 + Equity. This is a full-time, exempt role. Please note that this range represents the low and high end of the anticipated base salary range for the Los Angeles, CA based position. Goop, in good faith, reasonably expects to pay the position within this salary range. Goop provides the salary range in compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws. The actual base salary will depend on numerous factors such as: experience, training, knowledge and skills, and if the location of the job changes.
- Benefits: Generous health benefits package, fertility benefits and paid parental leave.
- Perks: “goopcation” paid company summer break, generous goop discounts, special offers with brand partners, access to custom lifestyle resources and events, and a beautiful work space in Santa Monica
- Work Philosophy: At goop we believe that creativity, innovation and camaraderie are essential to our business, our culture and our employee’s growth and development. With our Hybrid Work Policy, we are committed to promoting collaboration, productivity and employee well-being by maximizing the benefits of both in-person and remote work. We are in office Tuesdays and Thursdays, as well as Mondays for those within a 15-mile radius of our Santa Monica office.
goop is an Equal Opportunity Employer. goop does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. All information provided by the applicant is collected, stored and processed in accordance with the terms of our CCPA Notice for Job Candidates. Job Disclosures: No applicant disclosures related to physical requirements or ADA-related considerations are relevant for this role