Ruby on Rails Backend Developer - Mid Level
Blinkist connects people with powerful ideas from leading authors and experts to broaden perspectives, gain knowledge, and spark understanding in all areas of their life, both personal and professional.
Used by over 28 million people worldwide, Blinkist distills the key ideas from the most relevant, impactful books and podcasts. These can be read or listened to in 15-minute summaries, that we call Blinks.
Together with Go1, our parent brand, who gives organizations and their employees access to the largest curated e-learning library on the planet, we’re on a mission to reach one billion learners as we unlock positive potential through a love of learning. ✨
About The Role
Are you passionate about Software Engineering and you want to have a big impact with your work? Do you believe in the power of ideas and want to grow and develop?
In 2024 we want to take Blinkist to the next level on our journey to reach one billion learners. This is where you come in.
As a Backend Developer on our Discovery Team, you will contribute to our delivery performance and product success of our award-winning Blinkist application.
You will join a cross-functional team consisting of product management, engineering and data science. The team’s focus is building data products that leverage AI/ML technologies to deliver to our customers the right content, at the right time, in the right way!
Please note this is a Mid-level Backend Developer position. Check out the interview process for this position here: https://jobs.blinkist.com/ljt 🚀
What You Will Do
- Identify and proactively address challenges on the backend, driving complex technical decisions within your peer group.
- Take ownership of managing and extending our backend services. Use your technical expertise in building backend architecture and infrastructure at scale.
- Write high-quality and maintainable code: test, collaboratively review, and ship!
- Work on our Ruby on Rails stack, always keeping an eye on the latest trends, frameworks and/or programming languages.
- Follow and iterate on engineering best practices to achieve a robust code base, e.g. through code reviews and unit tests.
- Collaborate closely with Product and Design to build new features.
- Support other teams in finding pragmatic solutions that can be implemented in a reasonable amount of time.
What You Need To Have
- Background Education in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent fields
- Object-oriented design skills gained from 2+ years of industry work with OOP languages
- Minimum 2 years of experience working in mobile app development with backend services, with Ruby.
- Experience in building and delivering robust, scalable platforms tackling performance and optimisation problems
- Experience in contributing to the design and architecture of existing and new systems with a strong orientation on reliability, design patterns and reliability
- Expertise with Rest APIs, modern database technologies at high scale and both testing and observability patterns
- Good understanding of different programming paradigms, clean code, high quality tests, security as well as performance related topics.
- Experience with data pipelines and information retrieval
- Experience working with Cloud Computing (such as AWS) and infrastructures
- Proficient in English and comfortable communicating even complex technical information. We work in a hybrid set-up, so clear communication is important for us.
- Interest in emerging AI/ML technologies is a plus
Our unique culture of empowerment, mutual respect, and transparency has always been our defining characteristic. We support each other and carve out opportunities for every individual to develop and grow. We strongly believe that diversity powers innovation, thus we celebrate and support our differences, providing equal opportunities for employment and career growth. We embrace a flexible, remote-friendly way of working that supports different needs and lifestyles.
🌟 We are proud to have been selected by LinkedIn as one of the Top 25 Startups in Germany. Glassdoor and Kununu ratings put us amongst Berlin’s top three employers.
These are some of our most valued benefits:
- Competitive incentive plan in addition to salary
- Employee Stock Option Plan
- Flexible approach to work
- Monthly work from home or transport reimbursement
- One time work from home office set up budget
- Unlimited access to the Go1 Learning Hub, and mentorship program
- Professional development fund
- Volunteer leave to give back to the community
- 30 PTO days + Wellbeing days
- Flexible public holidays - take the days off that are important to you, swap out the ones that are not
- Family planning & parental leave, plus support for parents returning to work
- Wellness initiatives and an Employee Assistance Program
If you choose to join our team in Berlin, you'll have access to our modern office space in Neukölln and enjoy healthy plant-based meals prepared fresh every day by our very own chef. 🥑
If we’ve captured your interest and you want to take part in changing the world through the power of ideas – apply now and tell us what got you excited about this opportunity.
We look forward to hearing from you! ☀️
🔎 Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalised folks tend to only apply when they check every box. If you think you have what it takes, even if you don't meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.