Managing Editor, Events
Quick Take: Axios is dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We're hiring a Managing Editor to oversee the editorial content of our events.
Why it Matters: Axios has built a newsroom of talented award-winning journalists committed to providing our readers the most trustworthy information in the most efficient way possible. Reporting to our Editor-in-chief, the Managing Editor will play a critical role in growing our events portfolio at international, national and local stages with Axios talent and high-profile, newsmaking guests.
Go deeper: You will oversee a team responsible for planning the editorial content for our events, coordinating with editors, reporters and Audience team members while also working closely with the Events business team to ensure each Axios event is a success. In this role, you will also make an impact through the following responsibilities:
- Oversee the editorial execution of our events, from booking in-house talent, external guests, prepping the team to ensure they are ready for the stage and ensure Axios coverage and promotion of our events.
- Pitch new concepts for events, working closely with editorial leadership and the Axios business events team.
- Create a vision for Axios events for local editorial teams, national teams and international events. Identify areas to expand and grow our presence, working closely with Axios’s editor-in-chief and SVP for Events.
- Oversee Axios’s 1 Big Thing podcast, and grow live taping events with host Niala Boodhoo.
- Manage the calendar to ensure we have the best talent on the stage and clarity of ownership.
- Work closely with Axios’s managing editors, Axios’s subject-matter experts and news leadership to execute events strategy for our flagship annual and biannual events.
- Coordinate strategy with Axios’s Audience and Comms teams to promote Axios events to the right audiences.
- Ensure that our Expert Voices events attract high-level attendees from business and government.
The Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- 10+ years experience in managing buzzy events and working in news media.
- Strong news judgment about trends, issues capturing public attention and connections to bring people to the Axios stage. Ability to convene top news leaders and top news talent to develop ambitious ideas to continue to grow our events business.
- Demonstrated experience conceptualizing big ideas and seeing them through.
- A well developed network of sources for booking external guests.
- A deep understanding of Washington, business, tech, public opinion, policy and politics across the country.
- Experience putting on live podcast events. Podcast or video experience a plus.
- An ability to represent Axios publicly at Axios events.
- Positive attitude and ability to thrive in a high-pressure news environment.
- A proven track-record managing, recruiting, mentoring, and developing talent.
- A commitment to building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
- A belief in Smart Brevity as the core style of Axios.
Starting salary for this role is in the range of $160,000 - $200,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.