Senior Data Engineer
Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We’re hiring a remote Senior Data Engineer to join our Consumer Insights data team!
Why it matters: As a Senior Data Engineer, this person will collaborate with other data engineers, scientists, analysts, and product managers to drive forward data initiatives across mission-critical Axios products. The team is responsible for analyzing consumer behavior, preferences, and feedback, to allow Axios to tailor products, services, and marketing strategies effectively.
Go deeper: As a Senior Data Engineer, you will play a leadership role in building and delivering solutions to problems in an intelligent and nuanced way. In this role, you will make an impact on Axios through the following responsibilities:
- Architect and build data products and features that provide consumer insights about Axios’ audience
- Hands-on development and execution against the team’s roadmap in collaboration with other data engineers, analysts, scientists, and quality engineers.
- Technical and architectural decision-making
- Develop and maintain data pipelines and warehouses to support Axios in data-informed decision-making
- Writing clean, well-documented, and well-tested code primarily in SQL/Python
- Provide technical insights, and feasibility assessments, communicate technical constraints to the team’s Product Manager
- Estimate efforts of technical implementation to aid in planning and sequencing of developmental tasks
- Mentoring less experienced members of the team through pair programming and empathetic code review
- Share knowledge through presenting at data chapter meetings and demoing to team members and stakeholders
- Staying up to date with industry trends and collaborating on best practices
The details: Ideal candidate should have an entrepreneurial spirit, be highly collaborative, exhibit a passion for building technology products, and have the following qualifications:
- Experience with or knowledge of Agile Software Development methodologies
- Experience building data applications in languages such as (but not limited to) Python, SQL, Bash, Jinja, Terraform
- Experience designing, building, and maintaining data pipelines to produce insights
- Experience with functional design and dimensional data modeling
- Experience with DBT and semantic data models
- Experience with data pipeline development and data orchestration systems such as Airflow
- Practical experience with columnar data warehouses, such as Redshift
- Experience working with CI/CD pipelines and understanding best deployment practices for data products
- Proven ability to ship high-quality, testable, and accessible code quickly
- Experience working in and around cloud providers such as AWS
- Experience working in and around AWS data services
- Experience working with Data Scientists, Machine Learning Engineers or supporting MLOps
- Experience working with MapReduce and Spark clusters
- Experience successfully working with data product managers
- Experience working in Media
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Class pass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Starting salary for this role is in the range of $170,000 - $190,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.