Engineering Manager (Data)
Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We’re hiring a remote Engineering Manager to manage Data Engineers!
Why it matters: Our product and technology teams, including the data teams at Axios, enable our mission of delivering the cleanest, smartest, most efficient, and trustworthy content to our users. Our data teams are vital to making data-informed decisions, engaging our audiences, creating data products, and staying competitive in the digital age. We’ve grown our team in the last year and we need an engineering manager to ensure our data engineers are adequately supported to do their best work.
Go deeper: In this role, you will make an impact on Axios through the following responsibilities:
- Directly supporting individual engineers through 1:1s, coaching, and feedback.
- Helping cross-functional teams work productively, with effective prioritization and resourcing.
- Helping to onboard and manage a diverse team of individual contributors, and actively fostering an inclusive environment.
- Creating processes that help data engineers focus, rather than feel impeded.
- Helping maintain a culture that balances healthy urgency with the need for downtime and recuperation.
- Provide technical guidance to data engineers and stay informed on industry best practices, and emerging technologies in data & analytics engineering.
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and preferably have many of the following skills:
- 2+ years of experience leading engineering teams. This is not a role for a first-time manager.
- A strong grasp of data engineering including skills in data architecture design, data pipeline development, data modeling, data quality, and governance.
- Skilled in working hands-on with columnar data warehouses, business intelligence tools, and the Python ecosystem.
- Knowledge of applicable principles, methodologies, and tools in the data engineering & analytics field.
- A track record of treating engineers as humans, rather than fungible resources.
- Excellent listening and communication skills that translate well to a remote work environment.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Class pass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Starting salary for this role is in the range of $160,000 - $170,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.