Sr. Data Scientist
At Acorns we look after the financial best interest of the up-and-coming. We are innovators. We make bold decisions. We stay curious, inspiring one another to push past all previous thresholds of possibility. We are one team and are building a diverse community of team members, partners, and customers from all walks of life to foster creativity, challenge conventional thinking, and put the tools of wealth-making in everyone’s hands.
We are looking for missionaries who are rooted in purpose, to join our team. We can achieve our goals if we are a team of missionaries working toward a shared purpose and mission.
Our mission? With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering, proud step of micro-investing.
How do we accomplish our mission? Our values.
Lead With Heart
With compassion, integrity, and tenacity, inspire yourself and others to move past all previous thresholds of possibility
Make Bold Decisions
We are creating a new world. Be optimistic, adventurous, and courageous. Leap fearlessly into the future
Always Build Trust
Say what you mean, mean what you say, and do what you say you’re going to do. We are all owners. We are one team
Never Stop Growing
Change IS the constant. Stay hungry and curious. Be relentless in the pursuit of progress
Find a way
Never settle, no excuses, nothing is impossible. Just make it happen
Our values guide us, and our mission drives us.
Come join us and help deliver financial wellness for the whole family, creating compound growth at every life stage.
Senior, Data Scientist | Acorns
Acorns is actively seeking a highly self-motivated, detail-oriented, and solution-focused Data Scientist. This position will reside in the Data Science group, which serves as the central data science team for the company. The team is responsible for developing and using state-of-the-art AI modeling, data mining, and machine learning techniques to be agents for good by helping look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming.
The Acorns Data Science group is obsessed with solving hard problems that directly affect customers, including recommendation engines, fraud prevention, and customer intention inference. But these aren’t Kaggle-type problems; we operate fast and often with imperfect data. We focus on impact - we innovate and put the models into production quickly. We know that solving problems with data is an art and a science. Data Scientists at Acorns are as good at communicating and collaborating as they are at building models and writing code.
At Acorns, Data Scientists have broad latitude around data and you will work across functional teams including Analytics, Engineering, Product Management, Marketing, Operations, Risk, and Business Development, and will play a key role in shaping the technology and product directions of the company.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine, CA, or New York, NY offices.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete Acorns’ best-in-class onboarding, Acorns’ Seedling Program
- Participate in a virtual coffee session hosted by Acorns’ CEO, Noah Kerner
- Attend your first community-wide virtual all-hands meeting
- Understand the Acorns products, data warehouse, and how data fits into the products.
- Discover new opportunities to apply data science concepts to the portfolio of products.
- Present findings to the Data Science team members.
- Interact with multiple teams.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Have established architecture and implementation for an intelligence-driven product feature in a data-rich environment.
- Have complete ownership of a data science product and made production quality code commits into the team’s repository.
- Contribute to the broader team’s success by offering ideas and constructive feedback to other team member’s projects.
- Propose novel ML research directions that will eventually power new products.
- Review your 30-60-90 day goals and accomplishments with your manager
- Engage in Acorn’s Community & Heritage celebrations
- Receive operational updates from our GoHenry & PixPay team members during Acorns’ quarterly global virtual all-hands session
Within 6 months, you will:
- Work independently and closely with the Product Management team to plan projects and recommend areas for the next generation of Acorns products.
- Work independently and closely with Engineering teams to deliver data science solutions into the product with proper API design.
- Build an identity within the company and can independently represent the Data Science team with other departments.
- Complete a Performance Development Check-in to align on Performance and Values Rating Trends
What you will bring to Acorns:
- Thirst for delivering game-changing products
- Exceptional drive and precision in delivery
- A belief that your work is tied to your life's mission
- Optimistic about the potential of societal change
- Advanced degree (Ph.D. or Master's) in a quantitative field such as statistics, computer science, or applied mathematics.
- Proven experience (5+ years) in data science, machine learning, and statistical modeling.
- Experience (2+ years) working closely with product and engineering teams
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Python or R.
- Strong expertise in machine learning frameworks and libraries (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch).
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work on complex projects with minimal supervision.
- Solid understanding of database systems, data manipulation, and data visualization tools.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to convey technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience with big data technologies and cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, databricks) is a plus.
- Previous leadership or mentoring experience is desirable.
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionate about Acorns' mission, vision, and values, please apply.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible work hours, location, and paid time off
- 401k discretionary match
- Monthly Acorns account contribution & GoHenry account for your family
- Wellness Days - Company-wide quarterly days off to rest + recharge
- Mindfulness, Mental Health, and Financial Wellness resources: Headspace, Ginger, and Addition Wealth are offered at no cost to you
- Acorns Career Development Program (Monthly Acorns to Oaks training sessions, development plans, quarterly development check-ins, Cornerstone’s online training platform)
- Roots Leadership Program for emerging leaders
- Monthly community celebrations, events, panel discussions, and speakers
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission, and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is how everyday consumers save & invest for the long term. To date, customers have invested over $15 billion with Acorns, much of it in spare change. By putting the tools of wealth-making in everyone's hands, Acorns has become the largest subscription service in U.S. consumer finance, serving over 10 million everyday Americans. Customers get automated investing in diversified portfolios, a simple retirement product, a bank account that helps people spend less to invest more, and bonus investments from 20k brands. Plus, everyday Americans can easily invest in their kids and get money news they can use, all from the same app. From acorns, mighty oaks do grow!
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
- Lead With Heart
- Make Bold Decisions
- Always Build Trust
- Never Stop Growing
- Find a Way
Commitment to a diverse community:
Acorns is committed to building a diverse community of customers, partners, and team members. We believe that fostering diversity not only fuels creativity but also challenges conventional thinking and helps us properly represent the unique experience of the everyday consumer that we serve.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $183,284 and $203,649/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, equity grants, and discretionary cash bonus awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.